But anyway, onwards to Psych! The commute is kind of heinous, all the way from Long Island. Yesterday, my day was fourteen and a half hours long with four and a half of those hours spent commuting. It has been rather uneventful so far, though now that I've said that, watch, there'll be a psych emergency on the wards tomorrow. It's somewhat akin to screaming "wow, it's slow" in the middle of an ER. I can probably expound more on the rotation when I've been on it longer than 3 days, but for now I can say that it has been relatively chill. Compared to the constant influx of patients on Peds, being in an in-patient setting, albeit an atypical one, is much different. I'm still getting used to the notion of having to swipe and/or unlock doors to get everywhere. At the moment we've had lots of downtime in between lectures and rounds. Haven't actually gotten around to interviewing a patient yet but our Attending seems to be set on easing us into the process, which is fine by me.
I can't think of a single reason why I should be a doctor, but I can think of a thousand reasons why I should quit. They make it hard on purpose. There are lives in our hands. There comes a moment when it's more than just a game, and you either take that step forward or turn around and walk away. I could quit but here's the thing, I love the playing field. [MG]
1.05.2011
In With A Bang
Peds ended on the 30th, not so much with a bang but kind of a "oh, I guess this is it" sorta feeling. Last day was chaotic as usual but there was something a little, dare I say, sad, about seeing my last pediatric patient (hopefully the last viral URI I see for awhile). I haven't fully ruled out pursuing Peds in the future, but I know for a fact that if I do, there will be some kind of fellowship at the end of it, because I don't think I'd be content with just doing out-patient Peds for the rest of my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
4.5 hours of commuting? Yikes!
That's one hell of a commute!
Post a Comment