2.15.2011

OB-Gynotorture

Okay so I'm not going to mince words here. OB-Gyn has pretty much been a huge slap across the face after the relative "easiness" of Peds and Psych. Not that the two of those rotations didn't pose their own challenges (have you ever tried to wrestle a 4 year old into submission so you could look at his ears?) but, OB is a whole new ball game. That is to say, I feel somewhat like I've been thrown to the wolves. There's no gradual easing in period really, though I suppose I should be grateful for the fact that today was somewhat of a "slow" day. Only 3 patients on the floor, though by the time I had left that number had doubled. Regardless. Wow. I can't help but be completely overwhelmed by it all. The doctors have been more or less civil though we did seem kind of forgotten about for the majority of the day. Make friends with the nurses- they're the key to your survival on any floor it seems. One of the fellows unknowingly antagonized some of them this morning and it's been a little cold between them since then.

I KNOW it's only day 2 and blah blah blah but that doesn't ease the discomfort any. I suspect it will get better with time and all that jazz, BUT STILL. Tomorrow and Friday I am on my own because I have the slight misfortune of being on a team with only 2 med students and my partner will be post-call on both days. More patients for us to split up, sure, which means more learning opportunities, but I'm a big fan of strength in numbers! Numbers of med students that is.

The bright side is that I get to wear scrubs for 4/6 weeks. And I don't have to pay tolls.And the hospital is pretty. But parking is a nightmare (it took 30 minutes to get to the hospital and close to an hour to find a spot). Hopefully it'll be easier to find a spot tomorrow at 5 am than today at 8 am.  

Yeah so, I'm anxious but I'm trying to keep an open mind. And I keep giving myself pep talks. Which don't REALLY help, but whatever. And please don't even get me started on scrub training and my lack of dexterity when it comes to handling gloves in a sterile manner.

Please pray for me or wish me luck or send some good vibes my way. I'm gonna need them to get through this rotation with my wits intact!

PS- I am fully aware that this entry may/does sound like a giant whine! Like "oh look at her sound like a crybaby just 'cuz she got to her first hard rotation and cant put gloves on right." However, this is MY blog, so if it annoys you, then feel free to step off. :) Blogging for me is meant to be cathartic, not censored.

8 comments:

Blaine said...

Good luck!! I know you will rock out! It always seems scary at first, and yes, that does sound scary. But I am sure it will improve!!

Unknown said...

Good Luck :) You will do fine...

Unknown said...

Yoyoyo! Bright side: next week no school at the hs so there should be more parking around the hood! Ps I'm not at school tommorow so call if you wanna say hi after your rotations or something!

nme4u said...

I love ob-gyn!!!!!
wait till you see your first live birth and do your first C-section, and get to grab a newborn baby as it comes out!
:D:D:D

Unknown said...

I am praying + wishing you luck + sending you the best of vibes. :)

andrea said...

haha i love you.

(find a mcdreamy! that looks hot in navy scrubs!)

Tony said...

do it girl!

although, i'd like to note, that NO ONE looks good in scrubs. the ones on the show are clearly tailored.

Unknown said...

PS! I started thinking of ideas for my bachelorette next year. Let me know if you have any suggestions! :)

http://leighbadee.blogspot.com/2011/02/hen-night-bachelorette.html