I had a sorely-needed sojourn to Philly this past weekend that was stellar. Going back to Philly always feels like I'm coming home in some weird away. This time I was actually on campus when classes were in session and despite the fact that things have changed dramatically, the nostalgia still hit me like a Mack truck and then proceeded to roll over me in waves. That's where I had my first Bio class. Oh that's the building I nearly flunked Calc III in. That's the quad we had our gigantic waterfight. Those are the labs where SAS and MATLAB made me nearly suicidal. This is the road that I walked up every day for two years on my way home. That pizza place on the corner is where we used to go when we needed cheese fries at 11 pm. This is the lobby I waited in for nearly three hours to get the last two tickets to see Dane Cook in. Over there is where I won second place in a Valentine's Day pie eating contest. This is the lunch truck we got pretzels from during Cell Bio lab. Those horses are where we used to meet for every PSP event possible. Over there is the last time I saw you. This is the Great Hall where I began the first tour I gave for the Admissions office. This is the roof that we sat and drank smoothies on when the weather got warm enough. Here's the basement that I spent countless hours studying Gross Anatomy in. Here's the building I always wished I had classes in but never did.
On top of all that, seeing my friends was wonderful. I never know how comfortable people are with having their names mentioned on a blog so I guess I'll leave them out for now, but really, I loved seeing all of them. Some I keep in touch with more than others, but when we meet, it's like not an iota of time has passed since the last time we were together. They're the best example of what's good in people and in life and I'm glad that for the tiniest of moments, I got to experience that all again.
Tomorrow, it's back to the grind. I begin Vascular Surgery without any real idea of what to expect but I guess we shall see. Two more weeks of Surgery and then fourth year with its own set of challenges and uncertainties begins. The future is terrifying, but it wouldn't be my life if it wasn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment