12.18.2012

#26 Acts

Taking a brief hiatus from the blog hiatus for what I think is an amazing idea-

By now, everyone has undoubtedly heard about the senseless tragedy in Newtown, CT.

If you know me, you'll know that I am a selfish crier. That is to say, I cry when I am feeling down or depressed about things that are happening TO me. When someone close to me is suffering, my heart breaks for them and I try to reach out and help them. And when tragedy strikes strangers, my heart grows heavy and I am quick to say a prayer for them. I think that's a reflex that most of us share as humans. But I never cry. And to that end, I don't cry at movies, TV shows, books, whatever. Dry eyes during Titanic. Dry eyes during every Bollywood movie I've ever been forced to watch.

Yet as I was driving home from work on Friday, listening to the news on the radio, the tears fell so freely. Maybe it was because it was 20 children who had taken bullets for no good reason. Or perhaps it was because senseless tragedies like these seem to have become the norm this year. Or maybe it's just that, sometimes it seems like there's nothing sacred left anymore. Whatever it was, I drove home, 30 miles, with tears streaming down my cheeks.

I think most of us wish we could do something to reach out to those families personally affected by the shooting. But it's difficult, because nothing can bring back those who died. Yes, there is a need for a nationwide conversation on care for the mentally ill and regulation of firearms sales. But what can we do just as ourselves? As a single human being. We can honor the memories of each victim, and in that light, I give you Ann Curry's 26 Acts of Kindness.

The premise is simple- what if we each committed one act of kindness for every innocent victim lost? No, it won't bring them back, but if we can move forward from this in any kind of positive manner, that's something right? Perhaps it takes the edge off just a little?

In high school,  my best friend, Jessica, and I started a club called Random Acts of Kindness. We did exactly what its name implied, and it remains, one of the most fulfilling things I did during high school. That's why 26 Acts appeals to me so much. It doesn't have to be a grand gesture. I get that many, if not all of us are just learning to stand on our own two shaky feet in this world and perhaps don't have a lot to spare in the way of finances. I know for a fact that I certainly don't! But the smallest act of kindness is still something.

"I think that whenever you show by example, an act of kindness- big or small- something that spends a lot of money, or because you don't have the money, something that doesn't, all of it is welcome"

"I know the truth: if you do good, you feel good. It's the most selfish thing you can do. Right now, this country wants to heal. I think the only thing comforting in the face of a tragedy like this is to do something good with it if you can. Be a part of that wave." 

All that said, I urge anyone reading this to take the time to commit your own 26 Acts of Kindness. And even if you can't make it to 26, even one act of kindness will suffice! It's all about spreading the love and kindness- creating a domino effect all over.

There are a ton of ideas for things you can do, both in the original article by Ann Curry that I linked above, as well as here in this Buzzfeed article. If you're on Twitter, you can use hashtag #26Acts  to see what others have been up to. I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do yet, but I'll be updating with each act- via some form of social networking-Facebook, this blog, Twitter, etc. Stay tuned!

Thanks for reading, and a very merry Holiday season to all of y'all!


No comments: