4.03.2013

When The Going Gets Tough...

I got me a job!

In a perfect storm of both timing and actually having a Plan B, something finally worked out for me. I am excited about the prospect of being gainfully employed for the first time in a very long time. I feel like I've spent my entire life in school up until now, which, actually, is not at all an exaggeration. 24/27 years. I'm also excited about what I will get to do-and it's about as close as I've been able to get to being involved in clinical medicine given the Catch-22 type situation I find myself in.

The job is in NY which means thank God for my overprotective Indian parents who are in absolutely no hurry to see their only daughter move out. Unless of course moving out means I'm getting married- in which case, they would be thrilled! But that's a far-fetched reality at the moment anyway. Don't get me wrong, I miss my independence and I'd love to strike out on my own, but it's simply not a practical or affordable option at this point. So at home I remain. But at least now I can feel a little less guilty about being 27 and mooching off of my parents. Just a little less. I usually feel guilty all day, everyday.  The pay is enough for me to start putting a tiny dent in my student loans and really, it's practically a fortune in my eyes, considering I was making $0 previously. I'm beyond grateful.

There were multiple rounds of interviews for this position and my last interviewer told me I was "an extremely strong and capable candidate" and "we would love to have you join our team" and "I can't think of one reason not to hire you." 

With the way everything has gone down, it just felt really good to hear that. It's a bit redeeming to know that perhaps you're not as miserable a failure as you perceive yourself to be. The fact of the matter is that I am MORE than the numbers. And I DO have many strengths and talents that I can bring to a position and it's just been so long since I've felt like someone in a position of power has acknowledged that. It was nice to have a door open with the welcome mat laying outside after so many doors have been slammed shut in my face.

On a related and somewhat ironic note, the day after my April Fools status, I legitimately did get flowers, from one of the best friends ever to celebrate the job. I almost didn't believe my Dad when he called to tell me I'd gotten something delivered...but there was no way he'd know about my April Fools joke, so you can imagine my surprise when I came home to this-

My first ever Edible Arrangements!

All in all, I feel blessed and grateful to have been given this opportunity. I can't pretend I have any idea what God's plans are for me, but I'm glad that I get to take this step and move forward with my life. Hopefully it brings me closer to the future I still hope to have. 

3 comments:

Neuro Chick- Kid Doc said...

Congrats!!!! So happy for you. I was thinking I needed to check in but before I could FB you I saw this, yay and high five. So glad you got some positive affirmation of how awesome you are and here is hoping thus job will lead you where you want to go. Congrats a thousand times over.

Unknown said...

Congratulation Srav!!! I'm thrilled for you. :D xxx

Rebecca Barber said...

Congrats, lady! So excited for you!! :D