8.25.2011

Post-Call

Surgery is trucking along. As suspected, now that I've somewhat settled in and more importantly figured out where the ORs are, things are not as unnerving as they were during week one. The residents have actually been...nice to us students for the most part, which is a relief. They've all still definitely got that "Surgeon" air and some of them are a bit more intimidating when it comes to wanting to approach them, but all in all, I'm pretty happy about the team I'm with. There are some that more inclined to teach so I figure as long as I stick with them, I'll get a lot out of this rotation.

I've scrubbed into a couple of surgeries over the past two weeks, most of them being pretty standard stuff- hernia repairs, lap choles, etc. I've gotta say that laparoscopy is pretty freaking amazing. Three little incisions, a couple of other tools and a fishing net, and bam, you can have that pesky inflammed gallbladder out in an hour! My goal is to get better at handling the camera before I scrub into my next one. Also, I'd really love to learn how to suture but it seems like there's never much time to sit down and be taught. And it's not exactly prudent to learn for the first time on my patient who's on the table. I just hate having to say "I've never sutured before" anytime someone asks me if I want to close.

Had my first call last night...it was actually completely uneventful, save for a couple of consults scattered throughout the evening. I honestly wasn't expecting that at all, given that on any night we usually have at least a few traumas rolling in. Still though, I can't complain. I couldn't sleep all that well so instead I set myself up at the Nurses' station and did UWorld questions at 2 in the morning. Gotta make the most of whatever time I have! The result, though, was that I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to make it home this morning without passing out at the wheel. I came home and slept until almost 3 pm. I'd probably would have attempted to sleep straight through til tomorrow were it not for the fact that studying needs to get done.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

MAN o man. you are inspiring!