Well we're a few days out from Commencement and I graciously decided to fall sick. It was inevitable, what with all the wiggity-wack weather changes. Raining and chilly one day, hot and sunny the next. Lamesauce. I left the gym on Saturday afternoon basically feeling like a truck had run me over and it just got worse over the rest of the weekend. I spent most of last night sitting up and sleeping because I just started coughing too much every time I tried to lay down. But I usually have a 5 day turnaround for these things so I think I'm on the road to recovery. The stuffy nose is gone, now I just have to get rid of the cough. I put myself on a q4 nebulizer schedule so here's to hoping that that works. Unrelated geeky side note- did you know Albuterol can be used to treat hyperkalemia in hemodialysis patients? Nifty stuff! ANYway, the only silver lining is that I've finally been given a reprieve from cleaning duties. Can't be having all that dust exacerbate my reactive airways, now can we?
In more exciting news- or at least it's exciting to me- I found an outfit to wear to graduation! I realize that this is not at all a major accomplishment for any girl my age, but you have to understand, for someone who abhors shopping for dressy clothes as much as I do, it's a big friggin deal for me to actually find something on my own! The fact that I managed to do this at the peak of my sickness is also impressive in my book. It's nothing fancy but it's girly enough for me and it's blue and most importantly it's got the maternal seal of approval so we're basically set. I even found heels- 2.5" to be exact. Again, most girls would read that and scoff (case in point- my roommate just informed me she'd be wearing 5" heels), but I live in Crocs, flip flops, and sneakers, so 2.5" is enough for me! Anyway, I'm glad that's taken care of. Procrastination rarely pays off, but in this case, it worked!
Other than that, I have absolutely no exciting news to share. I have a busy couple of days leading up to graduation as well as after it, but I'm looking forward to all of them. It'll be good to have most of my best friends in the same place because I really don't get to see them often enough. And then of course there's all the hoopla of Commencement and hoping I get to see a few familiar faces before they fall into the dungeon that is Intern year. After that it's one last hospital shift and a couple of graduation parties to attend before I fall right back into the studying/applications/figuring out what to do next year grind.
I don't know if it's just me, but is anyone consistently amazed by how quickly time seems to go these days? Med school seemed interminably long at many times, but I'm looking at a pic of my roommate and I from our White Coat ceremony four years ago and it doesn't seem like all that long ago. Weird. I guess it's a mixed blessing. It forces you to move forward whether you want to or not.
1 comment:
Feel better soon. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery so that you can fully enjoy the joy of graduation. So excited for you, and I totally know what you mean by time going by so quickly. It seems like just yesterday I was staring my journey to medical school blog and happened upon yours. You rock and have encouraged me through countless hours of med school anxiety simply b/c I knew they you had done it and made it and survived so I would too. You are an inspiration and will make a phenomenal doctor. Congrats grad, you have earned this, so now hurry up and get better so that you can enjoy it!
Post a Comment