8.24.2009

If I could find just ONE source that would give me a proper, comprehensive description of the histopathology of Cervical Carcinoma and NOT of Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia I would be ecstatic right now. I need to know more than just the fact that there are atypical squamous cells!! Blargh.

That's my Path rant for the week. More to follow, I'm sure. The sad part is that I do find Path interesting. In fact, I actually enjoyed the Neoplasia packet that I pre-read today. Oncology looks more and more interesting to me all the time...I definitely want to do an observership [though God knows when] so I can get a feel for what it's like clinically speaking. However, there is absolutely no one in my life that supports me even thinking about pursuing that as a specialty, let alone actually going for it. In fact, I'm pretty sure my mom would go postal if I mentioned it to her. But I reckon we'll see what happens. I still have all of my second year to get through- maybe I'll find some other field to obsess over along the way.

So what was my point? Oh yeah, Path is kinda cool in the sense that now we're finally learning the reasons for exactly WHY parts of the body go all screwy. It's kind of neat getting down to the cellular basics of it all. Like fat necrosis- who ever thought that getting punched hard enough in the stomach would cause your pancreatic cells to burst, leak enzymes that digest fat cells, have those fat cells release lipases and then have the lipases breakdown triglycerides to produce free-fatty acids that then react with calcium to produce these disgusting soapy/white/chalky deposits that infiltrate your pancreas? And meanwhile you're kinda just like "well maybe I'm just sore from getting kicked" but in reality there's this whole other dimension of events going on that you know nothing about. Awesome yeah?

Now if working on slides wasn't such a bitchin, time-consuming, pain-in-my-ass daily task, I think I'd actually be okay with Path. Micro is basically a horror story in the sense that there are a gazillion and seven details to keep track of and I'm lucky if I can remember just the seven.

Midterms in three weeks!

3 comments:

Ria said...

I like this article: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=500501&blobtype=(If the link doesn't work, it's Aetiology, pathogenesis, and pathology of cervical
neoplasia by Arends et al.)

What would your mom (and other people in you life) have against onc? It's much needed, offers a decent lifestyle + compensation, plus is a cool speciality in terms of complexity of management/ diagnosis, research opportunties, etc.

S said...

Thank you for the article!

The people that I've mentioned Onco to are all against it because they claim it's an emotionally demanding field where hope is rarely found. I reckon they're concerned about the mental toll it may take on me. There's also the potential for getting too emotionally involved with any patient's case and then being crushed if the outcome isn't favorable...though I feel like that's a risk you face in any field. But to me, I think that if I learn to compartmentalize my life properly, that it can be handled. I reckon we'll see what happens...

Unknown said...

I think that you should do what you want to do most. Sure its not like picking something "easier" but I think you would be a great oncologist. When people are goin through difficult times, there aren't that many doctors who actually care and are good people. THat seems to be the complaint about docs that they are so cold. You are the complete opposite so I know that you would be an excellent oncologist.

But that goes for whichever specialty you choose. :)