5.27.2010

Path Pictionary 01

Path Pictionary is an absolutely fabulous concept that Spice Island Queen over at Notes from Spice Island introduced me to. The premise of the game is to basically throw down a few pictures that remind you of buzzwords of key concepts in Pathology. For example, you see a picture of a Pillsbury crescents and you think...crescent-moons...crescentic change...RPGN, nephritic syndrome, seen in Goodpasture's, Wegener's granulomatosis, and microscopic polyarteritis, etc.! Basically, use the image as a starting point to help you build on your knowledge of the pathological concept underlying it.

Sooo in lieu of regular posts [since quite frankly my days all follow the same routine- eat, sleep, study, work out], I'm gonna throw up Path Pictionary every now and then for you guys to enjoy. I still have absolutely no idea how many SOM kids read this but hey, if you are, then these are for you! Just leave your answers in the comment section :)

1.
2.

3. This one might be tough...Shruts, if you're reading this, this one's for you! ;)

10 comments:

nme4u said...

1. PCP
2. krukenburg tumor
3. hydatidiform mole

(great idea! keep em coming!)

S said...

There's an alternative concept underlying #3 as well though it's probably not at the forefront of anyone's minds...HINT- Think Peds Path.

Neuro Chick- Kid Doc said...

Sarcoma botryoides! Vaginal tumor in children under 5 that looks like a bunch of grapes hanging out of the vagina...
I only got this because I JUST got back from the Female Genital Tract lecture and it was covered. Path is fun! :)

S said...

YESSS, nice catch! :)

La-a said...

Thats the name! I couldn't think of the tumor...but yes Sarcoma Botryoides! Also, Psuedomonas Aeruginosa produces not only a blue-green pigment but also grapelike odor!!

I think I understand the connection between #1 and PCP but #2 and Krukenburg ... I fail to understand.

S said...

Good call on the P.aeroginosa and grape odor!

1) A KOH stain of P.carini/jiroveci, has the resulting appearance is that of cups and saucers.
2)Krukenberg tumors are characterized by signet-ring [hence the picture] cells that secrete mucin.
3) Sarcoma botryoides is exactly was SIQ said above- pediatric tumor that has the appearance of grapes hanging out of the vagina.

shruts said...

Why is sarcoma botyroides for me??? Do I have bunch of grapes hanging off of my vajay-jay? And I don't particularly like grapes... what's your beef, shravie?

S said...

Man, I can't believe you forgot. And you were even the one that started the conversation- it was Quote Wall worthy!

Shruts: Can you believe having grapes grow out of your vagina?
Srav: I kind of don't want to think about that.
Shruts: Would you rather have green grapes or red grapes?
Srav: I think I'd want red grapes because they'd match the surrounding mucosa better.
Shruts: But what if the green grapes were sweeter?
Srav: I AM NOT EATING GRAPES THAT ARE GROWING OUT OF MY VAGINA!

=D

Rondo said...

**Obviously YOU are not eating your own grapes........

;)

S said...

Ughhhhhhhhh, I think I just barfed in my mouth.