So I might be committing some act of blog treason here but the title to this entry was the Featured Question on Xanga.com...but I figured I'd answer it here. Sorry Xang.
Sidebar- Speaking of treason, I called my roommate Benedict Arnold yesterday for some reason that escapes me right now, and she stared at me blankly until I finally realized that she was Canadian and consequently had no clue who Benny was. Whoops.
So one memory from college? I actually don't have an answer to this because it's too difficult to pick one. Maybe I got exceptionally lucky during the latter three-quarters of my college career but I have exceptional memories from soph year onwards and to pick one from them would be impossible to do.
But my best memories come from moments spent with my friends regardless of whether we were in class, in the Honors Lounge, on the roof, at a meeting, in cars on long road trips, lying on the grass, taking walks, riding the El, fountain diving, making dinner, sitting on each other's beds, walking to school, walking home, in basements of old houses, at the Diner, grocery shopping, baking, on the phone, in lab, wherever...
My best memories come from not what I was doing or where I was, but who I was with. There are some people here who say they haven't been homesick since they've gotten to Grenada. To that I want to say, yes, but did you have the friends I have? Do you have the kinds of friends that mass phone call you and make you feel like you never left home? The kinds of friends that come through for you over and over again no matter how long it's been since you've last seen each other? The ones that remember your life's schedule better than you do sometimes? Who are still available for 2 a.m. phone calls even though you're 4,000 miles away? Who are willing to wake up at 7 in the morning just so they can see you for 15 minutes? The kinds of friends that know your fears and your doubts and all your little insecurities before you can even speak them aloud?
Exactly.
There are multiple reasons as to why I haven't been missing home any less than I did when I first got here. Chances are, it's the people reading this entry right now. Yeah. I'm talking to YOU.
It's true that any experience you're thrust into becomes what you make of it. But it'd be a huge mistake to not believe that it's the people you meet along the way who help you make something of the experience.
<3 style
Countdown to Home: Too many days.
1 comment:
i'm almost crying - at work. :(
so i've decided my first purchase with my co-op money (after bills and rent and pants, because i really really really need pants for this job) is going to be a webcam so we can finally skype. i'll even get my own account so when you're talking to "michelle", you're actually talking to michelle!
<3 ::hug::
p.s. philly is not the same without you either. almost every gathering, it's like "where's srav"?!?! and then it's like "duh...okay, so who talked to her last, how's she doing?!?"
Post a Comment