3.19.2009

1. A pipe burst in Taylor again yesterday.
And I missed it. [Again]. Sigh.

2. Since when does the freaking bank take SIX weeks to clear Amex Traveler's checks?! LAME! Every other time they've taken them without a fuss, but now if I want the cash right away, I have to go to the Chancellor's Office and have them stamp them "payment guaranteed." Ugh. It's just a hassle I don't feel like dealing with right now. I mean why WOULDN'T the payment be guaranteed? They're Traveler's checks...someone somewhere already has the money I paid for them!

3. In other news, Natasha Richardson died. Some of you may remember her as the mom from the Lindsay Lohan remake of 'The Parent Trap' in 1998. Anyway, she died of a brain injury incurred as a result of a ski accident in Canada on Monday. Very untimely, she was only 45! John Donne once wrote that "any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind." Now that's all well and good, and I wholeheartedly agree.

However. The second I read "brain injury" and about the course of events that led up to said injury, the only thing my Neuro-addled brain [midterm tomorrow!] could think of was "hmm, the fall must've caused a hemorrhage...what kind of hemorrhage did she have?" To add to my annoyance, they aren't releasing details about the cause of death so the only thing I have to go on is that she was fine for about an hour before she started complaining of a headache. In the Neuro biz, that's what we like to call a "lucid interval."So my diagnosis? Epidural hemorrhage as a result of trauma. I wish someone would confirm that, however completely insensitive that may be of me.

We're getting to that part in medical school where the stuff we learn about in class is stuff we actually see in real life. The pathway for glycolysis? Not likely to come across it in a clinical setting. But hemorrhages? Totally applicable! Grey's makes way more sense to me these days, as in I don't completely tune out when they start rounding on patients and stuff. I know it makes me sound like a HUGE dork but hey, look, I kinda got to the part of medicine that I may actually enjoy!

ANYway, back to Los Visual Pathways. I can hardly contain myself.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Wow. That was quick!

Autopsies can sometimes take months! But, the official cause of death for Natasha Richardson has finally been determined.

As many people suspected, it's been revealed that Liam Neeson's wife died from a blunt impact to her head.

According to a spokesperson for the New York City medical examiner's office, her death was ruled an accident after the autopsy was performed.

The impact caused internal brain bleeding, which ultimately killed her.

As of right now, it's still unknown what she hit her head on.

All so sad

<3 perezhilton.com

nme4u said...

Based on said observations...I would agree...epidual it is!