Part I: Happy Pi Day! Don't know what I'm talking about? It's March 14th. 3.14. Now go eat some pi[e]. Oh, and for the record I'd likely to publicly apologize to Andrea and Michelle for being such an ass about life last night. It wasn't you, it was completely me. I love you guys...remind me to buy you a drink/Tastykakes/pi to make up for all those international texts.
Part II: The Gripe
If I hear one more person say some variation of "well at least you have the beach/aren't freezing your ass off" when they ask me how medical school is and my answer is somewhere along the lines of "difficult" I seriously will shank them.
I get it. It's freezing up north. There's a lot of snow. You're wearing thick jackets and scarves and hats. You have to shovel. You're pale. FINE. That sucks, I agree. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I grew up in New York, I went to school in Philadelphia. I have 22 years of East coast weather under my belt.
But for the LOVE of all things holy, please, please, please, don't think that having the beach fifteen minutes away from me or being in 80 degree weather all the time, in any way, shape, or form, nullifies the pain in the ass that medical school is turning out to be. I'm not sure if such comments as the ones above are supposed to make feel better? Because newsflash- they're not. The beach isn't going to hold my hand and help me pass my Physio midterm. Being able to wear shorts in March and take my exams in an air-conditioned lecture hall is not going to make it any easier to get through. Is it nice to have the beach and the weather? Yes! Of course! Is it supposed to make me feel better about school?! NO. It's completely irrelevant.
I have cytokines to memorize.
3 comments:
haha srav you seem angry. i hear you though. i was discussing with my friends the other day how much we hate broad st and all the ghettoness that is north philly. but then we realized, if it was really nice out all the time, it would be even harder to study because i'd want to sit out all the time. so you have it harder ;) hang in there!!
even though i don't have a beach nearby, i agree with you srav!
med school can consume your life, place doubts about your future in your mind, and really make you feel dumb at times. you're not alone, all of us feel like that at some point (even the gunners), and one day all this work will pay off.
amen to lin!
Post a Comment