Danielle mailed me a package in November that she didn't tell me about for the longest time since it was supposed to be a surprise. But as December rolled around and I was getting ready to take Finals and come back home, she finally caved and asked if I had received anything since generally me receiving a package is always blogworthy news. But I hadn't seen anything in the mail and we both sadly concluded that the package was lost. Oh well.
Fast forward a month later. It's Sunday morning, the day after I've returned to Grenada to begin Term 2. Shals and I are waiting at Charter to catch the bus to IGA. It's too hot outside and the bus is taking forever so I drag her into the mailroom so that I can can check my mailbox for no apparent reason other than to make sure I remember the combination. I'm not expecting anything since I've just been at home for the last month. Imagine, then, when I finally get the door open, I reach in to pull out not one, but two pieces of paper. Shals is indignant. "You got mail ALREADY?!" she exclaims. I crack up at this because last term at least, I was the one person on the floor who was perpetually getting mail- letters, packages, whatever. It drove everyone crazy, to me it just served as a reminder of how awesome my friends are.
One of the pieces of paper in my hand actually turns out to be a postcard of a big shark. Renee sent it from Berlin when she was visiting for Thanksgiving. I've gotten postcards from Europe before, but never Berlin. I tuck it away in my pocket for safe-keeping. The other piece of paper is a package notice. The date stamped on it is December 5th and I'm reminded that while I did check my mail on a regular basis, I went into Finals lockdown mode as soon as December hit and didn't bother with anything but studying. December 5th. Could it possibly be what I think it is?
Normally I'd go to the post office myself to pick the package up but I'm lazy this week and I drop the slip off at the bookstore for the courier to pick up. He tells me to come back at 430 on Friday. I picked it up about 20 minutes ago and lo and behold the return address is Danielle's. This makes me grin- because just when I'm missing home the most, Home decides to pay me a visit. It may have taken 2.5 months but it finally made it.
The first thing I'm confused about is that it's wrapped in an Air Canada bag that's apologizing to me for the shape of the package- apparently it was received damaged. Come again? The package looks fine to me. I tear it open, and what am I holding in my hands?
A Phillies 2008 World Series Champions t-shirt and the Daily News and New York Post with headlines from the day after Obama won the Presidency.
BEST. FRIENDS. EVER.
1 comment:
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I'm so glad it finally made it there. I miss you lots, and I didnt actually go to canada to ship it, so that is very odd. Sorry there will be no pkg coming in 3 months for the eagles, but there is always next year.
Miss you lots!
Post a Comment