1.01.2009

The Year In Review

Rules: Take the first line from the first post of each month in 2008. That's your Year in Review.
[As I started this blog in August, I'm taking creative license and borrowing the lines for January-July from my other blog]

I'm not used to boys e-mailing me. Is it scary that I found myself relating to 27 Dresses way too much? Last night, as per our routine on most Sunday nights, I was sitting on Michelle's bed writing an English paper. What would it be like if I wasn't pursuing med school after graduation? Going to bed before midnight twice in three days?!- The world must have fallen off its axis. Team D wins the scavenger hunt after taking second place last year! I don't think I'll ever get over hating doctor's appointments. My parents and I got to Grenada Sunday evening after a four hour flight delay. Grounds for a hug: 1) Being 3,249 miles away from everyone who knows you. Went to bed at 3, woke up at 730, and spent 3 hours in Cadaver lab this morning...love the smell of formaldehyde...clears the sinuses like no other. I really need to stop going to bed at 630 and other completely ridiculous hours after a night out at Bananas specifically when I am due in Anatomy lab at 10 the next morning. The end is in sight- just barely- but you can see a tiny speck of it.

I don't have a whole lot to say about 2008. It was bittersweet for the most part. Graduation, moving out of Philly, leaving everything and everyone behind to go to Grenada. It was a rough year in certain aspects but as Regina reminded me tonight- if you focus on the negative aspects, that's all you'll ever perceive a situation to be. So lets see- trying to think positive- I have my first set of initials next to my name- a big fat B.S. And I'm working towards acquiring a second set of initials- M.D. I kept in touch with most everyone that I wanted to. Michelle is still, and likely always will be, my person and the past five months has proved that we don't need to live with or see each other every day to remain the best of friends. I lost 18 lbs. I survived my first term of med school and Shruts and Shals are the best rocks I could've asked for on that island. I came home and to my delight- realized that some people never change- that distance means nothing in some cases. That the people who said they would be there for me- really meant it, and in some cases even showed up on my doorstep less than 24 hours after I had been home to prove that.

I'm approaching 2009 with a cautious sense of optimism and no expectations. It certainly seems like a good year for change- and who knows where I'll be in a year. Hopefully Version 23.0 of myself will be a better person than I am now. That's all I can ask for.

No comments: